Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010


The Town opened in theaters this past Friday and you better believe the theaters in my home town of Boston were packed. Just a week ago we were graced with the presence of the film's leading actors as they walked into Fenway Park for the red carpet premier. I have to say, I was a little concerned, that after all my excitement and watching scenes from the film being shot just outside my back door, I might not like the movie. I've never been a huge fan of Ben Afleck as an actor. I was pleased with "Gone Baby Gone," but was hesitant about another bank robbery movie. And who would believe anyone's stupid enough to try and rob Fenway Park of millions of dollars?

Well, Ben Afleck definitely pulled this off. The story is smooth and very believable. The car chases through the North End had me on the edge of my seat. The love story moved a little fast for me, but who am I to say it doesn't happen that way. Jon Hamm has a presence you cant ignore and Ben Afleck seemed to fit this role better than any he's done before. Rebecca Hall was decent, and Chris Cooper was perfect as usual in his very small part. What I loved was Jeremy Renner's transformation into the emotional and violent James Coughlin who was product of growing up in the "bank robbery capital of the America." He changed his posture, his gate, his accent, his style, and I hardly recognized the pretty, charming man I met outside Fenway on the night of the premier.

I know how proud Bostonians are proud of anything to come out of Boston, but this isn't just a movie for us. Its legitimately a good film and we have good reason to be proud. Congratulations, Ben Afleck, for making it into the big leagues!

No comments: